Thursday 27 October 2011

Throne of Skulls October Event 2 Game 2

So game 1 went pretty well and I was going in to game 2 with a little more confidence.  Mission type was the one I was most concerned with, Kill Points, and deployment was Pitched.  My army was worth a massive 18 KP!
My oppo was a great guy called Jack who had brought an Imperial fists army led by Darnath Lysander himself.  His list was:
-Lysander
-Sternguard squad x 10 with much melta madness in a drop pod
-2 x Ironclad dreads in drop pods
-2 x Tactical squads in rhinos
-1 x tactical squad
-Thunderfire cannon
-2 x Land speeder tornados

Turns out Jack's army was worth quite a few KP so I think he was thinking the same as me.  I won the roll off and decided to let him go first so I could see where his drop pods would arrive.  The rest of his army deployed at the back and prepared to shoot whatever I brought on.  I reserved everything and we had a really tense, tactical game with neither of us really risking any of our units until the last turn.
I had managed to kill a drop pod, his sternguard squad (all hail the 4 monoscythe missiles!!!!) and his land speeders.
Jack had brought down a couple of venoms and a raider and so going in to the final turn it was pretty close.  He attempted a charge with Lysander (which was just out of range) and moved a couple of his rhinos up.  In my following turn I destroyed a drop pod, a dreadnought and Lysander (with much Splinter Cannon Fire).  I then had an epic fail where 6 dark lances failed to destroy a rhino which left my incubi stranded in an open field.  They had a go at charging the rhino and only succeeded in scratching the paintwork.
 Fortunately for me the game ended and I'd won by 1 or 2 KPs.  It was a very tense, tactical and negative game but it was the closest game I had all weekend so thanks for that Jack!

No comments:

Post a Comment